Clarion

Filed under Trending

SELF-LOVE WITHOUT THE SCALE

new movement spreads body positivity

Back to Article
Back to Article

SELF-LOVE WITHOUT THE SCALE

Media portrays the human body as having to be close to perfection. Slim waist, yet curvy and glowing skin for females; men have to have big muscles and not to mention be six foot to be handsome. These standards that society has set are plastered across every outlet of social media and department stores. However, a recent social media movement, specifically on Instagram, celebrates body positivity and self-worth.

The #iweigh movement was started by actress Jameela Jamil, who is most known for her role in The Good Place in March of this year. Since then, the Instagram account backing the movement has gained over 250 thousand followers. Jamil started the movement after seeing an Instagram page that took a photo of the females in the Kardashian/ Jenner family and had each member labeled with their body weight. Disgusted, Jamil took to her

Instagram to post what she weighed. However, instead of putting the number shown on the scale, said she posted ways she values her life, which included great friends and laughing every day. “I like myself in spite of EVERYTHING I’ve been taught by the media to hate myself about,” Jamil said.

After her post, many other people began to follow in her footsteps, including actresses Kristen Bell, also from The Good Place and Emmy Rossum from Shameless. Jamil realized this post was more than she had planned or imagined, it was becoming a movement. “I only started the Instagram account because there were so many amazing posts and I didn’t want them to disappear. I wanted them to live somewhere and it turned into an online museum of self-love,” Jamil told reporters.

Emmy Rossum

The account is still active today, reportedly getting tagged in hundreds of posts each day on Instagram @i_weigh.These posts are then shared on the account to celebrate each person being diverse, beautiful, and more than a number on the scale. Focusing on reaching a wide range of people, Jamil makes sure to include people with different backgrounds, genders, and stories. She aims to remind people that they are more than a physical body weight, and challenges them to post on Instagram their ‘weight’, and what makes them who they are.