Clarion

Filed under News, Showcase

SAFETY IN SCHOOL ZONES

Back to Article
Back to Article

SAFETY IN SCHOOL ZONES

In today’s society more and more kids are riding the bus to school, due to parent’s going to work in the morning. Or whatever the case may be, there are a lot of kids riding the bus every morning and every afternoon. School bus safety is something that everyone should be aware of. Within this year there have been at least five incidents of kids getting hit by a car while getting on or off the bus. On October 30, 2018 in Fulton County, Indiana twin brothers Xzavier and Mason Ingle age six, and their sister Alivia Stahl age nine were struck while they were crossing the road. They were just about to get on the school bus that morning when all of a sudden, a car ignored the buses stop arm and struck the children. That morning all three children passed away on the scene. Eleven-year-old Maverick Lowe was also struck by the car, but he was airlifted to Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne due to life-threatening injuries.

School bus safety does start at the bus stop. Parents should make sure that their child is at the bus stop at least five minutes early. Kids need to be at least six feet away from the curb. Children should be reminded that the bus stop is not a playground and is not a place to run or play. Drivers need to realize that it is against the law to pass a school bus while it is dropping off or picking up passengers, regardless of the direction of approach. If you are driving behind a bus you should allow a greater following distance than if you were driving behind a car. It is illegal in all fifty states to pass a school bus that is stopped to load or unload children. You should never pass a bus from behind, or from either direction if you are on an undivided road. Traffic must stop if the yellow or red lights from the bus are flashing, and if you see the stop arm extended. You should always be alert when you are driving. The yellow flashing lights indicate that the bus is preparing to stop or load or unload children. The red flashing lights and extended stop arms indicate that the bus has stopped and children are getting on or off. Drivers need to stop when a school bus stops even if they do not see kids.