Clarion

THE NUTCRACKER AND THE FOUR RELMS

Back to Article
Back to Article

THE NUTCRACKER AND THE FOUR RELMS

Ashley Werner, Staff Writer

On November 2, 2018 the whimsical Disney movie called The Nutcracker and the Four Realms was released. It was directed Lasse Hallsromand and Joe Johnston. It is based on “The Nutcracker and the Mouse King” by E.T.A. Hoffmann. The movie takes places in Victorian London, England.  The movie stars Mackenzie Foy as Clara, Morgan Freeman as Clara’s godfather Drosselmeyer, Keira Knightkley as the Sugarplum Fairy, Eugenio Derbez as the Flower Realm regent, Richard E. Grant as the Snow Realm regent, and Helen Mirren as Mother Ginger. The movie starts out with Clara, her father Mr. Stahlbaum, her older sister Louise (Ellie Bamber), and her younger brother Fritz (Tom Sweet) getting ready for a Christmas Eve ball. But, just before they were about to leave Mr. Stahlbaum gives his children Christmas gifts that his wife wanted to give before she passed away. Fritz got toy soldiers, Louise gets her mother’s favorite dress, and Clara gets a handcrafted egg-shaped box. But there is a catch there is no key with it to open it. During the Christmas party Drossemeyer announces that it is time for the kids to get their gifts. While finding her name on a string Clara enters into a dark room and keeps following the string that is above her. Which then leads her to a winter forest and sees the key in a tree. Right when she is about to grab it a mouse takes it. Clara then chases after the mouse and tries to cross a frozen lake but then it starts to crack.

Clara then meets Captain Philip Hoffman (Jayden Fowora-Knight) a nutcracker soldier. Who then takes Clara to the palace to meet the three regents of each land. Clara tells all of them that her mother passed away. Because Clara’s mother was the queen of the palace. The Sugar Plum fairy tells Clara that Mother Ginger left the palace so that she can be an outsider. And that Mother Ginger plans on taking control of the palace. Clara needs to get the key before it is too late. Watch the movie to find out if Clara gets the key and if she can stop Mother Ginger. This movie is recommended to people who love to watch Disney and Christmas movies.