Clarion

• April 19Pedro Alvarez Cabral discovers Brazil

• April 19GIRLS TENNIS VS CAMBRIDGE @ HOME 5:00

CONVENTIONS- FFA STYLE

Back to Article
Back to Article

CONVENTIONS- FFA STYLE

Kaylah Harris

During Fall break, our FFA chapter had the chance to go to the 91st FFA Convention in our state capitol of Indianapolis. Featured at the convention was thirteen-time Grammy Award winner Garth Brooks. There was a rodeo, the FFA Shop, four speakers, and this year, President Donald Trump had the pleasure of speaking at the convention. A US president has not spoken at a National FFA Convention since 1991.

Dwight D. Eisenhower was the first US president to speak an at National FFA Convention. Then, at the 1957 convention, former president Harry S. Truman spoke. Richard Nixon spoke at the 1968 convention. President Gerald R. Ford spoke at the 1974 convention. Former FFA member of the Plains, Georgia chapter and president Jimmy Carter spoke at the convention in 1978 convention. He was the secretary for his chapter.

President Trump`s speech was about the shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, which happened on the same day that he gave his speech. His views on FFA are, “Farmers are our future.”, and, that we will win the trade war against China, because “Americans always win.”

Our FFA chapter president Michael Biehl said that “The 91st FFA National Convention was a great experience where I got to see thousands of FFA members come together and love agriculture.” Molly James, our chapter treasurer, fell the “National FFA Convention is always a great experience. I have met so many new people and Garth Brooks was absolutely amazing.” Our chapter secretary, Shayla Crawford, said, “The National FFA Convention was a great experience for me. Not only did I make new friends from all over the United States, I got closer to the people from our chapter and I had a great time.”