Clarion

THE BEGINNING OF A NEW ENGLAND

Google Images Photo

Google Images Photo

Kaylah Harris, Staff Writer

When you hear the word Brexit, you think, what in the world could that possibly mean?

Well, it means, literally, “British Exit from the EU, or the European Union. The European Union consists twenty-seven countries with the purpose of keeping political and economic harmony throughout the world. “I’ve been clear that Brexit means Brexit.”, Theresa May, Prime Minister of the UK.

The EU formed in 1993 to help European countries create closer economic and political ties that caused very many traumatic wars in the past. Before the EU, there was the EEC, or the European Economic Community that was created for the same purpose as the EU. Britain became a member of the EEC in 1973. The group changed their name to the European Union to make it clear that they covered more issues than just economics. In the beginning of 1993, there were only six members of the EU. There are currently twenty-six countries.

Back in June of 2016, 52% of the British people voted to leave the EU, while 48% voted to remain. After everything is said and done, the UK will have to pay a cash settlement of between forty billion to fifty-five billion Euros, which is around 63 billion U.S dollars. In the aftermath, the UK will have more freedoms. For instance, the British Parliament can impose taxes on imports on countries of choice. There would be no tariffs on imports from each country, like there is in the EU.

The main reason why the UK left the EU is because many UK residents believed that leaving the EU would reduce immigration, making it tougher for immigrants to come over to the UK, and the British people felt that the UK would no longer be a big target for terrorists. Since Great Britain was never fully apart of Europe to begin with, the British people have become “Eurosceptic”, people who are opposed to the rising powers of the EU. “If they do a deal like that, we would be dealing with the European Union instead of dealing with the UK, so it will probably kill the deal.”, Donald Trump, US President.

The UK is not the only one wanting to leave the EU. Rumor has it, five more countries want to leave: Greece, Sweden, Ireland, Czech Republic, and Denmark. Which if Denmark leaves, then that means the country of Greenland will leave with it, since Denmark is a Danish territory. The decision of Brexit will be final in March of next year, and it will leave an impact on the UK, the EU, and the USA.