Clarion

DESTRUCTION IN PALU

Kaden Steele, Staff Writer

https://youtu.be/T7r6ex4WnkQ

On September 28th, a magnitude 7.5 earthquake rattled the city of Palu, Indonesia. The earthquake alone raptured the outer lying networks of the city with vortexes of mud slides.

Palu neighbors the Palu Koro fault line, which is known as the most tectonically violent area in the world. Earthquakes are common in Indonesia, but few result in tsunamis. When a 7.5 magnitude earthquake shakes Palu, a tectonic shift in the Makassar Strait ignites a tsunami that would reached a wave height of over seventeen feet.

The tragedy that occurred in Palu was devastating, and the earthquake was to blame. Most people believe that the most of the damage done in Palu was caused by the tsunami. In fact, the tsunami was fairly impactful in the chaos of destruction. The earthquake was the main verdict for the damage.

When the earthquake initiated, the moist ground, from a recent extended period of downfall, ruptured and transformed into seismic mud slide. Palu is bordered by mountainous terrain that folded under the earthquake and bellowed mud slides into the valley. These mud slides macerated the outer lying perimeter of Palu.

In total, this tragedy inflicted extreme damage and casualties. Families have reported over 5,000 missing people, but only 2,000 bodies have been identified. This calamity has stripped the people of Palu of food, shelter, and families.

The total summary of damage is baffling. In total, over 2,500 building were destroyed in the earthquake, and another 500 buildings by the tidal wave that surged the shore. Over 17,000 people have been left homeless, and 61,000 people have been displaced. In reconciliation, the damage done to Palu is record breaking and breathtaking. The lives of the people will be forever scarred from this tragedy.