The Student News Site of Connersville High School

THE SPOOKIEST TIME OF THE YEAR

The Origin of Halloween

November 1, 2018

People do not always think of how Halloween came to be. To most, it is all about the free candy and dressing up. Halloween is believed to be over 3,000 years old, and was first celebrated by the Celts, an ancient civilization that lived nearly 2,000 years ago.

First known as Samhain Day, Halloween was celebrated so the barrier could blur between the mortal world and the world of ghosts and spirits. In order to celebrate Halloween, the Celts had huge bonfires. People gathered to burn crops, using animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities.

Superstitions played a huge part on Samhain Day. Back in the Celtic days, they believed witches avoided being seen by turning themselves into black cats. That was a very common superstition for the Celtics. This created the idea that when a black cat crosses your path, it is bad luck.

Samhain was Christianized as Halloween by early Christian Churches. Some religions are against Halloween, such as Jehovah’s Witnesses, Orthodox Jews, or even some Christians. This is mainly because they believe the holiday is associated with Paganism.

Halloween is the second highest grossing commercial day next to Christmas. In previous years, spending was over 9.1 million dollars on Halloween decorations, candy, and costumes. 179 million people celebrate the holiday on average. The main things people buy Halloween candy, decorations, costumes, and the Halloween makeup.

Hallows Eve has a large amount of people around the world that celebrate each year. Although there is a lot of money that goes into this day, it is a good day for families to get along and just spend time with one another.