RAISING THE BAR

Google Images Photo

Google Images Photo

Abby Soriano, Staff Writer

The Connersville High School gymnastics team began their season at an away meet at Rushville Senior High on January 13, 2022. The girls lost with a score of eighty-seven, but got some high scores individually. Madison Jordan, 10, earned third place with a score of 7.225 on beams. Kierra McKinney, 9, followed up with fourth with a score of 6.925. The beam event is where girls perform moves on a thin balance beam.

McKinney is confident in this year’s group; “This season our team has improved so much already. We have taken the corrections we’ve gotten from our judges and have applied them to our routines and you can tell a difference.” Mckinney explained, “Even though some of the girls haven’t done gymnastics as long as others, they are still contributing a lot.” Their improvement has shown at their second meet that took place January 18, 2022. The meet was a duel with Connersville competing against Richmond and New Palestine. A duel meet is where one team (Connersville in this case) compete against two other teams individually. For example, Connersville vs New Palestine and Connersville vs Richmond. New Palestine ended with a score of ninety-eight and Richmond ended with a score of 106.6.

The team still has time to keep improving for Sectionals. This meet takes place February 26, 2022, in Connersville, Indiana at the Spartan Bowl and will start at 11 A.M. Ellie Lakes, 10, is “looking forward to Sectionals. Everyone’s routines are very different and original.” To receive further information, they can get it from coach Joann Borders. Good luck at Sectionals, girls!