Closing a Chapter

Riley Austin, Editor

I can’t even begin to fathom saying goodbye to what has been my safe place and absolute joy for the past three years. The Clarion has been a space where I feel like I can truly, wholeheartedly, and unapologetically be myself. It’s become one of the most influential aspects of my life and one that I look forward to every day. 

I joined three years ago on both a complete whim and an accident. I intended to join the yearbook but stayed for one of my fellow editors, Jordan, and I’m glad I stayed. These past few years have been filled with ups and downs to where my life felt like this endless typo we were constantly trying to edit. My fellow editors and advisor, Mr. Bill Vaughn, have lifted me up countless times and I’ve felt pushed to be the best writer and version of myself. 

They say senior year flies by but I didn’t think it was something I could miss before it’s gone. It’s a funny feeling; like I’m grasping onto the remains of something that’s still here for fear of it leaving. But I think I’m ready to move on, I just hope to continue growing and making my mark on the world. 

I need to say a special thanks to my best friend and fellow Editor Jordan. Thank you for convincing me to stay in The Clarion. It completely changed the past three years of my life and allowed me to find a home and passion in something I never thought I would be good at. You have supported me since seventh grade and I genuinely believe I wouldn’t be here without you. The ups and downs of high school were made bearable with you by my side and I can never thank you enough for that.

Claire, I’m so thankful to have grown beside you. You always amaze me with your ability to say exactly what you’re thinking and your ability to be so strong about everything you believe in. From your first articles to your powerful editorials, you have and will continue to shock me. I know you are strong and capable of doing whatever you set your mind to, and that you will do great things. 

To my remaining staff and those reading this, thank you. Thank you for being a part of this journey and for believing in me more than I personally could. I know you will do great things and I hope we left a good foundation for you to thrive. I’m so proud of whatever you do next and I know that you will better the program. I cannot wait to see your futures shine brightly ahead of you, but just know these next years are going to fly by.

No matter how hard this inevitable goodbye feels, I’m ready for the next chapter of my life

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTdGUBbue/?k=1