RECORD HOLDERS

Abby Soriano, Staff Writer

The Connersville High School boy’s and girl’s track team recently had some record-breaking accomplishments at the Bill Self Invitational at Franklin Community. The meet took place Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 9:30 A.M, and lasted until approximately 2:00 P.M.

Owen Baker, 11, broke the first record in the Steeplechase race. “Steeplechases are run over distances that range between 2 and 4½ miles. The runners jump over a variety of obstacles that can include plain fences, water jumps or open ditches,” according to racingexplained. In this particular race, Baker ran 2000 meters in seven minutes and thirteen seconds, which is a new CHS school record. 

The next record was broken by Carter DeBoard, 11, Blaine Hornsby, 10, Parker Sweet, 11, and Micah Buchanan, 9. The boys ran the 4×200, which is where all four runners take turns running 200 meters in a relay. The boys earned first place as well as breaking the CHS record with a time of one minute and thirty-three seconds. 

The last record was broken by the girls in the 4×200 meter race. The team included Abigail Soriano, 10, Kendall Frank, 9, Kierra Mckinney, 9, and Katelyn Seeley, 11. The girls finished in fourth place, with a time of one minute and fifty-four seconds. This was Frank’s first time running an outdoor 4×200, “When you are in a relay you have to focus on teamwork and realize that how you do affects the whole team and that is what motivates me,” Frank said. 

If anyone wants to see the team in action, Sectionals is coming up. Girls Sectionals are coming up on May 17, 2022, starting at 5:30 P.M. at the CHS track. Boys Sectionals followed soon after on May 19, 2022, also starting at 5:30 P.M. ast the CHS track. Good luck, Spartans!