“RACKIN'” UP SOME POINTS

Photo+Provided

Photo Provided

Abby Soriano, Staff Writer

The Connersville Spartan girl’s tennis team started their season at the beginning of Spring. Coached by Jason Krause, players practice from 4:00-6:00 P.M., Monday through Friday. The team has seven girls on Varsity, and the rest are on the Junior Varsity team. 

With hours of practicing, the girls have already begun competing. The players went to Randolph Southern Junior-Senior High School to play in a scrimmage. A scrimmage is where two teams compete against each other, but no actual score is recorded. This started at 5:00 P.M. on Tuesday, March 29, 2022. Maddie Hauger, 10, thought, “The Randolph Southern match went very well. [The team] got a lot of good practice and court time. It was a good way to boost our season.” Hauger first decided to participate in tennis because she “enjoyed it when [her] sister was in school. [Hauger] thought [she] had a lot of potential to do good things within the sport.” 

Kiersten Ellis, 11, appreciates tennis for the way it is set up different from other sports. “My favorite part of tennis is that it is an individual and team sport. I play matches by myself, but I play to score points for my team.” The team plays five matches in total, and the team has to win three of the matches to win. Each match is worth one point. 

Their sectional match will be located at the Connersville High School Tennis Court. It will be Wednesday, May 18, 2022, at 5 P.M. Connersville’s competition for sectionals will be Franklin County High School.