PRACTICING TO WIN

Google Images Photo

Abby Soriano, Staff Writer

The Connersville High School co-ed track and field team traveled to East Central High School for an indoor meet, on March 5, 2022. This was a practice meet, where players could get a feel on how a regular meet would go. There were seven teams who competed against each other. Even though this was not considered a real meet, times and placements were tracked. 

The athletes had to be at CHS track parking lot by 7:15 A.M. to catch the bus. This was an all day event. Field events, like throwing and long jumping, started at 8:30 A.M., and running started at 10:30 A.M. The meet went on until 3:30 P.M. 

Connersville won the girl’s 200 meter relay, girl’s pole vault, boy’s long jump, and boy’s hurdles. 

For some athletes, this was their first time ever seeing how a meet worked. Kylie Osborn, 9, has just started track and field this year and described the meet as helpful because it “opened [Osborn’s] eyes to what track and field really looks like. It was a lot of fun!” Since this was her first run, Osborn got to see her times and how she compared to other athletes. Osborn says she “Did not do too bad, but there is a lot of room for improvement.” 

The next meet will take place at Anderson University on Saturday, March 12, 2022. The athletes should report at CHS at 12:45 PM for the bus, and the meet will start at 3:00 PM. This is a special meet where only the top three athletes in each event can attend. For example, the fastest boys who run one hundred meters can go, those who do not qualify cannot participate. If anyone is free, come on by and support the track team!