STRIKING TO VICTORY

Google Images Photo

Google Images Photo

Abby Soriano, Staff Writer

The Connersville High School Bowling Team has gone far this season. This team is coached by Caleb Jordan and Michael Chaney. The team placed second in sectionals, first in regionals, and fifth in semi-state; the players most recently competed in state. The team competed in Fort Wayne at the Pro Bowl West. The meet started at 9:00 AM. with individuals, then the team followed at 1:00 PM. The team overall placed eighth, but missed fifth place by nine points. This is the third year in a row that the bowling team has advanced to state.

Wesley Boyd, 12, individually placed in state. Boyd tied for both seventh and eighth place, earning the same score as his opponent. Last season, 2020-2021, he won first in state individually. Boyd has been “bowling since three [fifteen years].” He has been working on his bowling skills almost his whole life. Boyd revealed that he had been “bowling because my parents were in leagues and would bring me there and let me bowl.” 

Bowling has been a big part of a lot of these players’ lives. Well known bowlers like “Jason Belmonte, Darren Tang, Kyle Sherman and a myriad of others” inspire bowlers like Boyd to continue with their bowling. Even non-bowlers can inspire ambitious people like Boyd. For example, Robert Downy Jr. has helped Boyd become inspired because of Downy’s “bounce back story and how he has become so successful,” Boyd explained. 

Along with Boyd, Garrett Davidson also went to state this year. Davidson placed tenth, only two places behind Boyd. This wraps up the 2021-2022 Bowling season!