SWIMMING TO SUCESS

Abby Soriano, Staff Writer

The Connersville High School girl’s swim team is working hard this year, practicing in the morning from 5:45-7:20 A.M. Monday through Friday. Their work does not stop there though; the team practices again in the afternoon from 4-6 P.M. Monday through Friday. The athletes even work on Saturday with a three-hour practice from 8-11 A.M. “The team has worked hard to accomplish their scoring at the Eastern Indiana Athletic Conference Meet (EIAC),” according to Kaeylnn Martin, 10.

The EIAC Conference meet was Saturday, January 8, 2022, and started at 10 A.M. The girls traveled to Greensburg, Indiana, and placed second overall. Harley Morris, 9, had an outstanding performance as she received Co-MVP with Martin, won the 500 freestyle, 200 freestyle, and the 400 relay alongside Kaeylnn Martin, Ambria Clark, 9, and Kendall Martin,10. “My 500 is what I improved on the most. I dropped eight seconds. I also went under six minutes for the first time. This is a goal I had been working on this year,” Morris explained.  

The team went through many struggles to get where they are. Kaeylnn Martin explains that the 2021 season was hard. “COVID affected our season quite a bit last year causing us [the team] to get quarantined twice. Along with that, “many people on our team have gotten sick due to not having good immune systems,” stated Kaeylnn Martin. The Sectionals meet will give the team the opportunity to showcase their hard work.. If the girls win this, they can continue to state.

The Sectionals meet will take place in New Palestine on Thursday, February 3, 2022 starting at 5:30 P.M. For further information visit  the  teams co-ed Instagram page. The account name is connersvilleswimteam