CONNERSVILLE HIGH SCHOOL MEDIA CENTER

Max Ackerman Photo

Max Ackerman Photo

Max Ackerman, Staff Writer

As you step through the threshold of the archaic doorway, the aged wooden floor creaks beneath your feet, the sound echoing through the building. Then everything falls silent. You make your way into the building. Taking a shaky breath, you begin to notice the scent that fills the rooms. The smell of ancient paper tickles your nose. The subtle notes of music meet your ears, calming you. You continue walking, noticing the high shelves that are filled with books. You can almost hear the stories being whispered to you. Some of the whispers tell the tales of knights saving princesses, while others tell the stories of ancient civilizations and how they came to be. You stop walking when you spot what you were looking for. Running your finger up it’s spine, you grab the book from it’s snug spot on the shelf. You then spot a worn chair tucked away in a corner. The lamp next to it gives off a soft glow. You make your way to the chair and settle into it. After settling down, you open the book and immediately get sucked into a world of adventures. 

It can be hard to find a book worth reading. It can be even harder to have access to books in general. Luckily, here at Connersville High School, we have the Media Center, which is our school’s library and resource center. You can stop by before, during, or afterschool to find whatever books you may need to finish that research assignment or reading for pleasure. Most English teachers take their classes to the Media Center so that students can pick out their reading books without having to miss any lessons in class. While having a diverse selection of books to choose from, the Media Center also provides computers and a printer for the students and faculty at CHS. This might come in handy if you need to print off an assignment and a teacher doesn’t have a printer in their room. 

Our school’s Media Specialist is Kim Giesting. When purchasing new books, Giesting says she makes purchases based on “faculty recommendations, requests from students, and professional reviews by organizations such as [the] School Library Journal (SLJ), Booklist, and [the] Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA).” Giesting also tries to provide a diverse selection of books for the students of CHS. “Libraries are a place of choice,” explains Giesting, “and I want every student to be able to choose books that they like.” This includes having “different demographics represented in addition to different genres, topics, and reading levels,” says Giesting. 

The next time you get a book from the Media Center, take a moment to appreciate all the thought that had gone into the book selections. Hopefully, whatever book you find takes you on wonderful adventures in far off lands.