OUTAGE DISRUPTS SOCIAL MEDIA

Google Images Photo

Google Images Photo

Samuel Mills, Staff Writer

The internet and social media apps have skyrocketed in popularity in recent years. Apps like Facebook and Instagram have been prominent for a while, but with the COVID-19 pandemic keeping people quarantined at times, social media has become a sort of lifeline to society. Students learn through apps like Zoom and Google Classroom. Others use Facebook Messenger or Twitter as their primary means of communication
with friends, family, and coworkers.
Recently, some of these apps were temporarily disrupted in a massive outage that lasted several hours. On October 4th, 2021, multiple apps were completely disabled “for more than six hours,” according to NBC (National Broadcasting Company) news. WhatsApp, a communication app with an estimated two billion users, was among the apps affected by this outage.
The explanation for this outage was a “faulty configuration change,” claimed Facebook. Whatever the cause, this outage was quite the inconvenience for the many users of Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram. All three of these apps are the only connection some people have to their loved ones. If it had lasted longer, this outage could have had serious effects on people’s daily lives. Now that they are working properly again, these apps will likely have to get to the bottom of this issue as soon as possible to stop it from happening again. In the event that this becomes a frequent occurrence, it could affect communication even more.