FOREIGN EXCHANGE STUDENTS

Erica Montgomery Photo

Erica Montgomery, Staff Writer

There are many different cultures around the world and sometimes we get the chance to learn about these cultures. The foreign exchange program is one of the ways we can. This year Connersville High School has welcomed four exchange students. These students are from all over Europe, including Spain, France, Switzerland, and Germany.

One of the foreign exchange students is Leire Eiguren-Gonzalez, 11, who is from Northern Spain. She gave insight into the parent-to-child dynamic in her home country. Eiguren-Gonzalez said that back in Spain, all she had to do was tell her parents where she was going and then leave. She then compared this to American parent-child dynamics, which she felt were much stricter because many American kids have to ask permission to leave the house. Eiguren-Gonzalez also talked about a few American things that are not done in Spain, including going to ball games and having fairs.

Another exchange student is Emilie Krayenbuehl, 10, from Zürich, Switzerland. First, she talked about the schooling differences. Krayenbuehl said, “In Switzerland, you have to pay attention and write stuff down.” She then added that students at her Swiss school are not allowed to have phones in class, and that the rules were much more strict. To her, Connersville High School is “chill” in comparison. She also talked about the number of cars in America, which are a lot compared to Switzerland. In her home country, most students at her school used buses and trains to get around.

Then there is Nicole Sachnov, 9, from Western Germany. Sachnov talked about the stereotypes of Americans in Germany. She said that in Germany, they think about American teens like they are in movies and TV, one example being the stereotypical American cheerleader. Sachdov then went on to say that these stereotypes do not seem to be true now that she is here.

Last but not least is Anna Freyche, 10, from France. She mentioned the differences between the people in America and the people in France. Freyche said “The people are nice and friendly [in America]. In France? No.” She then explained that the schools are much different than they are here. In France, they had one classroom they stayed in all day, but here, students move to multiple classrooms throughout the day.

These students all come from different cultures, but they took the chance to come and experience American culture. Take the time to get to know them and their cultures as well. Not only are these students representing their countries, but Connersville is representing our country to them.