ESPORTS ACTION

Photo+Provided

Photo Provided

Abby Soriano, Staff Writer

Connersville High School’s Esports team has already started their season. Esports is “an online video game [competition].” Brian Mitchell, coach of three years explained, “Participants use strategy, problem solving, and real time solution solving to be top competitors in the games that they are enrolled in.” Students who participate in Esports have the opportunity to be noticed by colleges. Since Esports “is a growing competitive field, colleges are starting to offer scholarships for Esports gamers, even providing competitors full ride scholarships,” Mitchell stated. 

This will be gamer Yusuf Abrahim’s, 10, second year on the team. Abrahim practices individually “three times a week for about an hour and a half,” Abrahim says. He plays Forza, an online multiplayer racing game and is the only person competing in this particular game. Abrahim goes to the arena for practice so the team can “hang out and talk,” he said.

The Esports team has already had their fall call out meeting but will hold another one in January for the spring season. If you are interested, practices take place at Re3ach Gaming Arena, “located in the old Walmart strip behind Taco Bell,” Mitchell says. The owner of Re3ach Gaming Arena, Pete Johnson, helps coach the team alongside Mitchell. 

This year, the esports team will not be able to hold a Rocket League competition due to the lack of members. To qualify as a team, three players are needed to participate. Games like Forza do not need a specific amount of people to play, so it will still be continued. Other games offered include Tetris, Super Smash Bros, Valorant, and more. 

If Esports is something you may be interested in, make sure to keep an eye out for the next opportunity to join in January!