MARTIN SCORSESE : THE MAN BEHIND THE CAMERA

Google Images Photo

Google Images Photo

Mason Burkhart, Staff Writer

One of the most influential people in film history is Martin Scorsese. Picture a movie that has a man with sweat dripping off his face, and with black and blue bruises underneath the eyes. Imagine three men looking over the streets of Brooklyn dressed from head to toe in black dupioni suits. These are the descriptions of award-winning films. 

Grabbing a movie and putting it in either a CD player, VHS, or streaming on-demand, and snatching a bag of thin, crispy potato chips, and opening the freezer to reveal a dripping bottle of coke sealed up waiting to be opened. You then jump on the couch and watch the TV as the name Martin Scorsese plops up horizontally on the screen in all red. You then extend your mouth slightly to the left and right to reveal a big smile indicating that what you are about to watch will affect you in the best ways ever.

Martin Marcantonio Luciano Scorsese is an American film director from the city of Flushing, New York, NY. He is a director, producer, screenwriter, and actor. Regarded as one of the most influential people in film history, with one of the greatest runs in film history and with over twenty-five films and sixteen feature-length documentary films, Scorsese is beyond impressive. In 1968 Scorsese released his first feature-length film, Who’s That Knocking at My Door. Scorsese made this with his fellow student actor Harvey Keitel and editor Thelma Schoonmaker, who both have been working with the director ever since. 

Movies like Shutters Island, Good Fellas, The Departed, Raging Bull, and Taxi Driver are all academy-winning award films. These films would affect not just viewers, but other filmmakers and their films. 

In a quote from the motion image on Instagram, Scorsese says that ‘’Young people need to understand that not all images are there to be forgotten – we need to educate them to understand the difference between moving images that engage their humanity and their intelligence, and moving images that are just selling something.’’ Scorsese does not just make atrocious films with no context. He adds great detail and meaning behind each film that evokes the audience to want more and seeks to educate generations on how to utilize visual literacy. 

As the movie ends the words ”directed by Martin Scorsese” appear on the screen horizontally. You then get up and put a finger on the power button as you watch the screen absorb in the middle creating a black mask of static and causing a fuzzy noise within the tv to surge.