FRIENDLY? RIVALRY

Photo Provided

Photo Provided

Abby Soriano, Staff Writer

The Connersville High School soccer players, for as long as anyone can remember, have had one common enemy, being related to the undesirable, hole-filled, practice field (the gaming field is preferred). The soccer teams share the season, meaning they also have to share the game field. Both teams take turns on the practice and game fields every other day. The ones who are less fortunate are left with the practice field. Sophomores, in particular, have things to get off their chest about who deserves what. Emma Whittymore, 10, has strong opinions regarding the sharing of the field. “They get the field way more than we do,” Whittymore said. While this issue may not be the biggest problem in high school sports history, it is crucial for these sophomore soccer players. Eli Schlichte, 10, on the boys team would “prefer if we didn’t [have to share]” Schlichte said. Although the problem is tough, the teams have a chance of getting through it alive. There are some people out there whose opinions are different than most. Miles Foreman, 10, has recently made some controversial comments like “No I don’t mind that at all, it is fair.” The war may go on for years, but hopefully the worst is over. 

All jokes aside, both the teams compromise and share time on the more desirable game field. The coaches even laid out a calendar to distribute the time evenly amongst the two groups. The teams are very supportive of one another and even played together at a guy/girl soccer scrimmage during the summer. The boys and girls competed in a friendly game, then had a cookout at the end.