MASK MANDATES

Google Images Photo

Claire Stinger, Editor

As school begins to resume in person all around the world, students and parents alike are becoming increasingly upset over the mask mandates at their school. Many feel as though their rights are being violated when asked to wear a mask at the schools. The schools are attempting to ease the upset by explaining they are trying to do it to protect themselves, the parents, and their students, not hurt them. However, despite this being done to keep everyone out of harm’s way, they have begun to put their teachers and other staff in a more direct line of harm, even more harmful than the Delta variant of the COVID-19 virus. 

These enraged parents and students have begun physically and verbally assaulting staff. One example of this occurred on the first day in a California school. A father was upset that his daughter walked out of the school wearing a face covering, so he waited until school was released and came back to take matters into his own hands. Originally, he went after the principal, verbally assaulting them over this minor inconvenience. Moments later, it escalated, and a teacher stepped in to try and interfere. The father then proceeded to get into a physical altercation with the teacher, resulting in the teacher walking away with “lacerations to the face” according to NBC News.

In Tennessee, after an elementary school reinstated their mask mandate, angry parents gathered in protest outside of the school shouting that “[they] will not comply.” After their shouts and chants, they proceeded to heckle those wearing masks. One man even went as far as to say to someone wearing a mask that “you can leave freely, but we will find you.”

Despite the threats of violence and other altercations, more schools continue to reinstate their mask mandates in hopes of halting the spread of the Delta variant. There are even some schools closer to home having their mask mandates resume. Western Wayne schools reinstated their mask mandate on August 27, 2021, and the school district is discussing online learning options if the need prevails.