HOLIDAY POPS CONCERT

January 15, 2020

The Connersville High School choirs put on their annual Christmas show on Sunday, December 8, 2019. This year’s Christmas concert was titled “Holiday Pops” and featured many popular songs like “Frosty the Snowman”, “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town”, and “Mary, Did You Know?” that were meant to get the audience into the holiday spirit. The Holiday Pops concert was a special event for the choirs because this year is CHS Choral Director, Roger Tyler’s, last year.

Senior, Morgan Hauger, said that, “This concert, compared to other concerts, is more special and meaningful since it is my last [Christmas] concert. As we sang, it became more real that this was my last one.”

The concert presented performances by the Spartones Ensemble, Vocal Jazz, Concert Treble Choir, Men’s Choir, and Intermediate Choir, as well as two songs that combined every choir.

The CHS band performed with the choirs for “Christmas Bells Are Ringing”, “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town”, and “Hallelujah Chorus”. Freshman, Simon Vaughn, said that, “It was very fun and interesting to perform with the choir as part of the band, and I’ve never done something like that.”

The Holiday Pops concert featured solos by Ben Bischoff, Baylie Wilson, Hana Glover, Madison Mullins, Orin O’Brian, Anna Chalker, Ashley Bachman, Kindra Young, and Edie Judd. These nine soloists sang Christmas songs in numerous styles, which was a highlight of the show. Vaughn said, “My favorite part of the concert was definitely the solos. There are so many talented individuals in this school system.” Freshman, Alexis Brisco, said that her favorite part of the concert was “[…] watching all the dancing and solos.”

Soloist Edie Judd, a freshman at CHS, said, “Overall, this year’s winter choir concert went well. The night of the concert was a mix of emotions, but everyone put them aside to have the best performance possible. All the practice and effort we put forth really showed off in the end.”

Some of the choir students noted how different this show was from the others they have done in the past. Brisco stated, “This concert was different from those concerts [at my old school] because at my old school we didn’t have solos or complex choreography.”

The concert was choreographed by Sandee Toschlog. She choreographed full dances for the Intermediate Choir, Concert Choir, Men’s Choir, Vocal Jazz, and the Spartones Ensemble.

The preparation for the choir Christmas concert was difficult, but multiple choir students agreed that the tough preparation was worth it. Freshman Julia Biehl said, “The preparation for this year’s Christmas show was somewhat crazy and a little bit stressful, but it all worked out in the end.” Hauger said, “The preparation was more intense than usual because it was Mr. Tyler’s last Christmas concert […] and we wanted it to be great.” Vaughn stated, “The preparation for the show was pretty hectic because this was my first time playing my instrument with a choir.”

The 2019 Holiday Pops Concert meant a lot to the people performing and to those who made the concert possible.