HOMECOMING WEEK COMPETITIONS

Back to Article
Back to Article

HOMECOMING WEEK COMPETITIONS

Seniors walk with their Monsters Inc float

CHS YEARBOOK STAFF

CHS YEARBOOK STAFF

CHS YEARBOOK STAFF

Teams of students from all four grades battled it out Wednesday, September 25th, in different games to compete for the championship title and bragging rights. The students competed to win the annual Homecoming Olympics. These students participated in five different field day type games. The competition brought many supportive parents and students to CHS to cheer for their friends.

During the Homecoming Olympics, people brought their best and competed on teams of eight members. There were seventeen teams competing to bring each other to shame. The Disney themed team names consisted of Lilo and the Snitches, Waltz Gang, Happily Ever Homecoming, Lady and the Champs, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, B and B, Dynamic Duo, Woody’s Toys, The Avengers, The Pooh Bears, Bippity Boppity Booyah, Spartans of the Carribean, Peter Pan and the Lost Boys, The Incredible Freshies, Once Upon a Team, Hakuna Masquada, and The Incredibles.

The first competition was “The Wheelbarrow Race” which required a male and female pair from each team. The female had to hold the guy’s legs in a wheelbarrow-like position, and each pair had to finish the race before the team could complete the round. The second competition was, “Tangled in TP”. In this competition, one person had to run around the rest of their group and wrap the toilet paper roll around the group. Game three was, “The Princess Dress Dash”, which required members to dress up using the provided tiara, princess dress, flippers, and a necklace. The fourth game was, “Let the Force Run with Your Cart Race,” which required a male and female partner. One person sat on a scooter board and the other person pushed them to the opposite side of the court. The last game which brought the most competition and noise from the audience was the “Pull the Rope Kronk” competition. Two different teams faced off in a round of tug of war.

Two days later, the Spatans were back in action for another game. On Friday, September 27th, the Spartan football team played against their friendly rivals, the Jennings County Panthers. Before the game began, homecoming floats from each grade’s class council were presented. The freshman float represented, “Alice and Wonderland”, cleverly called, “Spartans in Wonderland”. The float included Alice, Cheshire Cat, the Red Knights, and other characters. The sophomore float portrayed “Up!”, which carried characters from the movie, Carl and Ellie, as well as the house from “Up!” The house had balloons attached to the top and was able to rise up making it appear to fly. The junior float followed and depicted a scene close to “It’s a Small World”. The float was named “It’s a Spartan World.” Lastly, the senior float represented the movie “Monsters Inc.” The float had multiple doors resembling the movie and played a scene from the movie including Mr. Judd. The floats were judged and compared to each other and during the third quarter the winners were announced. Seniors came in first, sophomores won second place, juniors came in third, and freshmen were last.

During halftime, the court was driven onto the track in cars and announced. After all members of senior court were announced, the king and queen were declared. Anna Chalker and her running-mate, Jay Gaddis, won homecoming king and queen.

“My partner, Anna Chalker, wanted to run and she didn’t have anyone to run with. So, I stepped up.” Senior Jay Gaddis said.

After a long game of cheering, the Spartans lost the homecoming game twenty-eight to fourteen. However, the Spartans still hold hope for the rest of the season.