The Student News Site of Connersville High School

CARDI BACKLASH

April 19, 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

CARDI BACKLASH

Google Images Photo

Google Images Photo

Google Images Photo

Google Images Photo

Belcalis Almanzar, also known as Cardi B, has recently found herself in hot water due to the resurfacing of her past. A video recently made its way to Twitter of the rapper reminiscing over the time when she worked as a stripper, stating that she would drug and rob men that would pay to have relations with her. She later confirmed that the video was real and it was her featured in the video.

Cardi B has made multiple statements regarding the video on Twitter, saying, “I made the choices I did at the time because I had very limited options,” and apologized for the video and her past actions. “I have a past that I can’t change we all do,” she continued. The rapper later announced that she would be taking time off of social media but returned soon after.

The recent allegations have the wide world of social media divided on whether or not Cardi B should be punished for her actions. The hashtag #survivingcardib, which stems from the movie Surviving R. Kelly, who reportedly drugged and slept with multiple minors, has been getting a lot of attention on Twitter. Many users have been using the hashtag to express their opinion on the matter such as, “I just don’t understand how she can get away with ALL these crimes she did. Really disgusting. Really sad. #survivingcardib.” Users have been comparing the actions of the rapper to that of R.Kelly, who allegedly used ecstasy in women’s drinks in order to sexually assault them.

While this issue continues to spiral, Cardi B has decided to continue with her career. The rapper announced in early March that she will be making her film debut in the upcoming drama, Hustlers, featuring Jennifer Lopez. The film is based on the 2015 New York Magazine article “The Hustlers at Scores”,written by Jessica Pressler. The story is set in New York City during the early 2000’s.

As Cardi B continues with her career, the question still hangs in the air: will Cardi B pay for her actions? “I was blessed to have been able to rise from that, but so many women have not. Whether or not they were poor choices at the time I did what I had to do to survive,” the rapper stated.  “All I can do now is be a better me for myself my family and my future,” she continued.