The Student News Site of Connersville High School

NEW VOICES

March 21, 2019

Over the course of the last three years, Diane Hadley has been hastily working alongside with representatives Ed Clere and Ed DeLaney on passing House Bill 1213 into the senate that would allow all forms of protections for media and journalist students. A group of students from Franklin College have all rallied together to push the bill towards success.

This bill would require each school corporation and charter school to adopt a policy concerning student journalist protections. It also requires a student media adviser to, each school year, supervise student journalists in grades seven through twelve in the creation of certain school sponsored media policies. In which it provides that a public school or school corporation may not suppress school sponsored media unless certain conditions apply; and that public schools, school corporations, and state educational institutions are immune from civil liability for any injury resulting

This house bill has been put through to senate three times, each attempt being turned down. From the original draft of the bill, little has been changed; but the support from students and teachers have grown exponentially. When publishing, the protection over students written work, especially uncensored work, is crucial for high quality standards. Due to the massives support from the community, the pressure on the senate is high as the bill proceeds through its confirmation. On February 18th, the bill began its movement in the senate, marking this as attempt four. For now, since the majority vote from the last ruling was in favor, we wait for the bill to be passed.