LAST MATCH

Spartan Wrestlers Bid Farewell to Their Seniors

Back to Article
Back to Article

LAST MATCH

Alex Edwards, Sports Editor

Over the course of the last four years, three outstanding students at CHS have grown to be great in a sport that demands more than most can give; wrestling. Beginning the 2018-2019 season in November, the seniors started as students of the sport but concluding the season, they have become leaders and friends to their teammates. Unfortunately, since the season has come to an end, they must sadly say goodbye and reminisce over each of the memories they have given them separately and together.

Zackary McQueen will leave the program after excelling for three years. In his time with the team, he has grown to learn hard work, dedication, and to believe in himself. “My favorite memory is winning the EIAC conference because to me it is a big thing,” McQueen stated. Lastly, after learning the lessons that the sport taught him, his advice to underclassmen is, “for them to stay with wrestling because it doesn’t only teach you wrestling, it teaches you life skills too.”

Colton Massey has dedicated himself to the sport for eight, long years. Over time, he has been a part of countless, precious memories. In his mind, the best memory being, “Making it to Semi-State. This is due to being able to meet all the wrestlers that I did,” Massey said. Leaving the sport, his advice for underclassmen is simply to never give up and, “to stick with the sport.” As for his future, Massey will say goodbye to wrestling as he graduates with the Class of 2019 in June.

Blake Bushey has wrestled for nearly an entire decade. In that time, he has made priceless friendships and bonds that will last a lifetime. “In middle school, going out to eat with the team after a tournament every year,” is his favorite memory, Bushey said. Sadly, as his senior year is coming to an end, Bushey leaves by looking back and saying, “Keep working hard and work hard in the off-season.”

Behind the scenes, two hard working managers have served the team greatly by doing the things that no one else wants to do. Seniors, Sydney Shepherd and Alexia McDaniel will also leave the team this year with memories that they will never forget. “Memories I have made as a wrestling manager is being able to help the wrestlers by getting them ice or cheering for each one of them and making new friends with the other wrestling managers,” Shepherd said. “Some memories I have made as a wrestling manager is watching the boys have some good wins and seeing how excited the coaches and other teammates get. Also, I have enjoyed making friendships with the other managers,” McDaniel said. After coming together for one last season, these seniors will part their separate ways for their future beyond high school yet be connected through the memories they were given through wrestling.