Clarion

SWIMMING FOR A PURPOSE

Alex Edwards, Sports Editor

FIFA women’s world champion and Olympic gold medalist, Julie Foudy once said, “Sports build good habits, confidence, and discipline. They make players into community leaders and teach them how to strive for a goal, handle mistakes, and cherish growth opportunities.” Each and every year, the CHS Varsity boys and girls swim team competes in the meet against the Centerville Bulldogs swim team with two goals. As usual, the Spartan swimmers have the goal to win, but during this meet, each team shifts their focus from victory to the need of support in the fight against cancer.

Four years ago, the Centerville swim team combined with the head coach of Spartan swimming, Darrell Drew, to create a tradition that would make a major difference in our community. Prior to the meet, each swimmer is given the task of selling “pink out” shirts in order to collect donations to be given to the Fayette County Cancer Society. In fact, the swim team has created a competition between the boys and girls to sell a higher number of shirts. As the tradition has continued, the success it has reached has been outstanding. In fact, this season, the teams were able to donate the massive amount of over $3,000.

“It began my freshman year and I’ve been honored to be a part of this for the last four years,” senior, Caroline Poe stated. Likewise, senior, Audra Volz reflects, “The cancer meet is so special because two teams come together to have fun while raising money for a good cause.” It is evident that swimming is a sport that teaches basic principles such as hard work, dedication, and the ability to put the team before yourself. This meet is an example of these values on display for our community as both Spartans and Bulldogs swim for a purpose.